Jeff began practice as a lawyer in 1991 as Legal Counsel to Wisconsin Governor Tommy G. Thompson.
In 2006, Jeff also helped establish, with Green Bay Packer Jerry Kramer and Chicago Bears Mike Ditka, Gridiron Greats Assistance Fund, Inc., a non-profit organization to assist retired NFL players and their families in need.
Since 1993, Jeff has been practicing in the areas of business, contract, banking, real estate, estate planning, tax, non-profit, entertainment, and related litigation. Jeff also works in the areas of employment law, as well as intellectual property, trademarks, trade secret, licensing, government contracting (CRADA), and Work-For-Others, and other agreements with national laboratories such as Sandia and Argonne National Laboratory.
Jeff’s practice is diverse, ranging from matters such as simple real estate matters to complicated mixed-use developments; simple business set-ups to mergers, business sales and acquisitions, contracts (domestic and international), franchise law, tax issues, fair dealership law, and acquisitions and family business planning. He has had various published articles on the topics of small business start-up, choice of entities, and limited liability companies.
Jeff’s practice, among other areas, covers:
- Bank loan structures, financing, work out agreements and cybersecurity
- Bank bond work (lender side)
- Business acquisitions, mergers, conversions, sales and purchases, and family succession planning
- Business operations including employment, capital structures and loans, contracts
- Business intellectual property issues, such as negotiating license agreements, assignments, CRADA, research and grant agreements, government lab agreements.
- Trademark and copyright law
- Franchise and Fair Dealership law
- Covenants not to compete and solicit
- Related tax law
- Regulatory and license issues
- Employment Law Issues
- Tax Planning
REAL ESTATE PRACTICES
- Real estate finance and TIF agreements
- Development and other agreements
- Purchase and sale agreements
- Working with government agencies for subdivision and certified survey work
- Cell tower agreements
- Commercial lease work (landlord and tenant side), including evictions
- Section 1031 Agreements
- Covenants, easements and other land use agreements
- Real estate financing agreements
J.D. 1991, University of Wisconsin-Madison
B.A. 1985, Music Education and History (double major), Lawrence University, Appleton, Wisconsin
- Founder, iPledgeNow.Org, 2020 (ipledgenow.org)
- Co-Founder and former President, Mike Ditka’s Gridiron Greats Assistance Fund, Inc., 2006-2014
- Former Deputy and Chief Counsel to Governor Tommy G. Thompson, 1991-1993
- Instructor UW Small Business Development Center Tax Workshop (since 2000)
- Becoming a Dad to my children
- Co-founding Gridiron Greats with Jerry Kramer
- Chief Legal Counsel to Governor Tommy G. Thompson
Do the right thing; do your best; give back